So I got a little sidetracked. I’d planned on brewing the Oatmeal Stout today, but when I got to the brewery supply store, I changed my mind and went with a nice hoppy IPA. I did get ingredients for the stout, however, and will brew that later this week.

I tried something slightly different today as well. My last beer, an abbey ale, didn’t ferment very well using Wyeast 3787. I’ve never had problems before with the liquid strains, but this one proved difficult. It could have been an issue with my aeration, but I can’t be certain. I ended up pitching some dry Munton’s after nothing happened for five days, and that did the trick. But the flavor profile was certainly affected. The beer turned out pretty well, but I’m sure it could have been better.

That said, today I set up a yeast starter for the Oatmeal Stout using the Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale strain. Since the stout is a slightly higher original gravity than my IPA (about 1.065), I’m sure the starter will help get things going in the right direction. For the IPA which I brewed today, I simply pitched the Wyeast 1098 British Ale from the smack pack, as I usually do. Hopefully it works OK.

Advertisements